When on a Hai Phong trip, one of the most fascinating things to do is riding a motorbike around the beautiful city. You can rent a motorbike from almost any hotel or rental agency in Hai Phong or Cat Ba island. Only rent from recommended motorbike rental agencies, or rent through hotel reception desks (you don’t have to stay in that hotel in order to rent a motorbike). Take a look at Hai Phong motorbike rental shops recommendations as below.
Hai Phong motorbike rental price
According to the experience of people who have rented motorbikes in Hai Phong, the cost will be reduced when you select this type of vehicle.
When starting to rent a motorcycle, you must ask the lessor to give you a free map. Hai Phong travel is very convenient. Riding a motorbike go to eat is never afraid of expensive, a lot of food you can choice. If street food expensive you can go to other places, not like taxi they carry you to the restaurant to get the commission so the price will be higher.
- Motorbike Not automatic: Honda RS, RSX, Yamaha, Jupiter, Sirious, Future ….
- VND 90,000 ≅ 4USD / day (24 hours)
- Automatic Motorbike: Nouvo, Atila,
- VND 100,000 ≅ 5USD/ day (24 hours)
- VND 120.000 Airblade Motorbike/day (24 hours)
- Duration: 1 day is 24 hours
- – Example: 7:00 today to 7:00 the next day is counted as 1 day
- 15:00 today to 15:00 tomorrow is counted as 1 day
Don’t get too worried about the motorbike rent since it is quite cheap in Hai Phong, Vietnam. For each rental bike, you just pay around $3-$9 per day, but the rental scooter may cost you $10 or more.
If you intend to hire this motorbike for a long time (over a week), make sure you have a good deal with the company. (especially in peak seasons insist on a daily rate for how many days you hire).
See more: Guide to Rent a Motorbike in Halong Bay.
Renting a motorbike in Hai Phong checklist
Sometimes it is better to pay a bit more for your bike so you feel safe and secure when driving, and you don’t spend half your journey fixing your motorbike. Feeling comfortable and safe on your bike is important, especially with the insanity of the traffic in Hai Phong.
- When you rent a motorbike, remember to check the conditions of the motorbike: brakes, mirrors, oil and fuel, speedometer, tires and wheels, lights, lock, license plate, etc.
- It is the law to wear a helmet. If you rent from a quality agency, the helmet should have quality certification tag attached to the helmet.
- Ride on right lane, and to the far right of the lane.
- Ride slowly. Watch out for speed limit signs. Prepare for unexpected moves of other drivers.
- Use signal lights before turning. Watch the road carefully through the mirrors before making a turn. To be on the safe side, you may use your hands to signal as well. Use horns before you turn into a narrow lane or road bends to alert other drivers travelling the opposite direction.
- Drive decisively. Vietnamese road trippers are used to guessing the moves of the other drivers on the road and will act according to their expectation of your moves. So if you are signalling to turn right, please make a turn right as they will most likely pass you to your left.
- Don’t make assumptions based on your knowledge of the law or your previous experience. For example, don’t assume that vehicles entering the roundabout after you should give way to you. Watch carefully and make clever judgements before you make a move.
- Give way to any vehicle larger than you. On multi-lane roads, the left and center lanes must be reserved for larger vehicles.
- If you get into any traffic trouble (touch wood), stay calm. Don’t get into a fight (verbal or physical) in the street.
- Never drink and ride.
- Do not ride with more than 2 adults and 2 kids on one motorbike.
- If you observe the above rules, drive carefully and stay away from accidents, chances that a cop will pull you over is pretty low.
What Are Hai Phong Motorbikes Rental Requirements?
It you want to rent a motorbike in Hai Phong, some rental companies ask for your passport while others don’t. We’ve noticed that shops located along the main touristy roads seem adamant about handing over your passport. It seems as though the smaller businesses on the less traveled side streets are more accepting to a passport photocopy or a cash deposit instead. To rent a motorbike in Hai Phong ,you need two things:
For motorbike rental, there are different procedures depending on the rental shop and the length of the rental. If you stay in a hotel and rent a motorbike from the hotel for a few days, the hotel will not require a deposit. If you rent directly from a rental shop.
You need to give your passport to the owner until you return the motorbike or deposit an amount of money (from 1.5 million VND to 3 million VND). Leaving a passport with a shop while you travel the whole country is not ideal, so an alternative can be suggested. Often rental shops will accept a different form of valid identification or even a copy of the passport.
In some cases, an additional requirement could be the number of your hotel room if you’re renting a scooter from the hotel.
Or sometimes a rental company in Cao Bang could ask for the hotel that you are staying in.
Regarding payments, you almost always pay in cash and upfront. Most motorcycle companies don’t ask to see proof of a driver’s license. You can drive away from their shop without toppling over or crashing into something or someone.
Some places for Hai Phong Motorbike Rental
In Hai Phong you have many option to rent a motorbike, the easy way is check your hotel, your hostel in Cao Bang they always have the motorbike rental service and you can easy to return it in the night time.It is not difficult to rent a motorbike in Sapa . There are several variants:
small hotels and hotels.
You can hardly walk around any (especially central) street without noticing a dozen rental places where you’ll be gladly helped to hire a scooter. But I recommend these fews stores as the quality of motorbikes are quite good and easy to find:
Motorbike Rentals Hai Phong
Location: 45/333b Van Cao str, Hai An, Hai Phong Vietnam.
Scooter rental Hai Phong
Location: 88 Le Loi, Ngo Quyen, Hai Phong.
If you just want to go around in the center, bike rental is cheaper and more interesting! And before you use the motorbike, you must ask the nearest gas station.
Read article: Motorbike rental in Quang Ninh.
Tips for Riding a Motorbike in Hai Phong
Yes? You are still pursuing this adventure? You are going to ride a motorbike in Hai Phong? Perfect, stay with me a bit longer to read some more tips! So now that you have a motorbike it is time to hit the road and not look back. Before you leave to Sapa don’t forget to check out these tips with things to know before you go to Vietnam! Here are a couple of things you should consider taking with you:
- A helmet, obviously.
- A raincoat or poncho, yes it can rain in Vietnam.
- Suncream for when the sun in shining.
- A jacket if you are riding in winter months or going higher up into the hills.
- A lock for locking up your bike at night (or in sketchy places).
- Multi tool to change the oil yourself or secure that mirror back on.
- Bungee cords and a rain cover to secure and protect your backpack.
- A sim card with internet data and a battery pack.
- Enough water to last you for a day.
You now have all information on riding a motorbike in Hai Phong. Yes, it might be a bit risky concerning safety and costs, but there still is a reason why such a large part of backpackers decide to get a motorbike. Good Luck!
What to See and Do in Hai Phong
The greatest attractions in Hai Phong are either the natural landscapes or historical relics. Below are several best places that you cannot miss!
If you are a culture seeker, this temple should be on your must-see checklist. It was built in 1586 to honor the Scholar Nguyen Binh Khiem – also known as Trinh Master. He was born in Hai Phong, and is famous for not only his intellect but also his predictions that were later revealed to be true! On visiting this historic site, you will also have a chance to enjoy local culinary culture, including the special Trinh wine.
Address: Trung Am village, Ly Hoc commune, Vinh Bao district, Hai Phong city
This beautiful cluster of limestone, caves and rivers comprise the peaceful landscape known as Trang Kenh. This is one of the most remarkable natural sites to see in Hai Phong. On your adventure to Trang Kenh, spend your time visiting the Trang Kenh temple cluster that leans against the mountain. From there, look to Bach Dang river, and contemplate the place that has seen three historic victories against invaders. The very first one was when Ngo Quyen defeated the Chinese forces, setting stone for a brand new chapter of the independent Viet Kingdom in 938. The second defeat was in 981, when general Le Hoan won the battle against Tang invaders. The third defeat was the incredible victory over the Mongol dynasty, led by the honorable general Tran Hung Dao in 1288. This is a historically rich and hopeful point of view over these locations, take it in while pondering the natural beauty around you.
Cat Ba Island
Cat Ba Island is the largest island in Halong Bay and is home to plenty of hotels, restaurants, and bars. Just about every tour company in Hanoi offers daily trips to the island, attracting travellers looking to enjoy a day of sightseeing during their holiday. Located off the coast of Hai Phong City, its beaches (named Cat Co 1 and Cat Co 2) are great for sunbathing and swimming during the summer months. If you’re not a fan of crowds on the beach, you can charter a speedboat or rent a kayak to Monkey Island and Lan Ha Bay, where the beaches are cleaner and quieter.
The best time to go to Cat Ba Island is during the summer, between April and November. It’s also peak tourist season in Halong Bay, with numerous boat tours stopping on the island. The beaches can be very crowded with fellow tourists so we recommend heading there early to find a good spot. Make sure to book well in advance as hotels are also pricier this time of the year. For better deals, visit from September to November as crowds are significantly smaller as the climate on Cat Ba Island transitions into monsoon season.
Cat Ba Island is relatively easy to get around as motorcycle taxis are quite affordable. If you’re staying near the harbour, you’ll find that many hotels, restaurants, shops, and bars are easily accessible on foot or bicycle. Renting a motorcycle is advisable if you’re planning on exploring remote areas such as Cat Ba National Parks. Daily rates cost between VND 80,000 and VND 100,000 – just make sure you have a valid driver’s license and travel insurance.