A trip to Vietnam is not complete without hopping on a motorbike at least once during the trip. Besides the convenience factor of being able to whizz through traffic easily the experience alone of riding in the hectic cities or stunning countryside is incredible. Renting motorbikes is possible throughout the country and a common practice among foreigners visiting Hanoi, Vietnam. Here is everything you need to know before you rent a automatic scooter in Hanoi.
Money, passport for pay and deposit
In fact, you simply sign a contract. It will be available in two copies and you take one with you.
Don’t get too worried about the motorbike rent since it is quite cheap in Hanoi. For each rental bike, you just pay around $5-$9 per day, but the rental manual may cost you $10 or more.
Within the backpacker areas of the city, motorbike rentals tend to revolve around Chinese motorbikes or more commonly the very cheap Yamaha Nouvo 1/2/3.
Outside these backpackers areas, companies with online reputations tend to use scooters that are genuine Honda semi-automatics or automatics such as the semi-automatic Honda Wave, automatic Honda Airblade or Honda Vision.
The rental prices between the cheap backpacker bikes and the genuine scooters are similar. The reason being that cheap bikes are more expensive to maintain for the rental company. However, the financial damages to the rental company when Chinese motorbikes are lost/stolen are far less than the damages when the bike is genuine. Deposits on Chinese motorbikes also tend to be much lower.
What Are Hanoi Scooter Rental Requirements?
It you want to rent a Automatic Scooter in Hanoi, some rental companies ask for your passport while others don’t. We’ve noticed that shops located along the main touristy roads seem adamant about handing over your passport. It seems as though the smaller businesses on the less traveled side streets are more accepting to a passport photocopy or a cash deposit instead. To rent a Scooter in Hanoi, you need two things:
Follow this article : A Short Guide To Motorcycle Rental In Hanoi.
For motorbike rental, there are different procedures depending on the rental shop and the length of the rental. If you stay in a hotel and rent a motorbike from the hotel for a few days, the hotel will not require a deposit. If you rent directly from a rental shop, you need to give your passport to the owner until you return the motorbike or deposit an amount of money (from 1.5 million VND to 3 million VND). Leaving a passport with a shop while you travel the whole country is not ideal, so an alternative can be suggested. Often rental shops will accept a different form of valid identification or even a copy of the passport.
Or sometimes a rental company could ask for the hotel that you are staying in.
Regarding payments, you almost always pay in cash and upfront. Most motorcycle companies don’t ask to see proof of a driver’s license. You can drive away from their shop without toppling over or crashing into something or someone.
Renting A Quality Scooter From A Reputable Company.
Quality models rarely breakdown! The Yamaha Nouvo and Chinese motorbikes have a low street value because they are old and prone to breakdowns, locals don’t want them. For a rental company, these bikes are high maintenance and stressful! Arguments are common as one breakdown will cost the rental company more than the daily rent. Blame is often put on the customer.
No holiday interruptions. For the customer, a breakdown is incredibly inconvenient and often results in lost travel time and more money spent on things like taxis to get out of a bad situation.
Better fuel consumption. Fuel consumption is much higher on the old models. Modern Airblade scooters use fuel injection technology that is significantly more economical than old designs.
Feel, performance and handling of a quality scooter shines through with modern bikes.
Cheaper to fix when crashed! A common fight rental companies and customers have is oversized bills with crashes. A $300 scooter requiring $100+ in crash damage seems an illogical rip-off…. but it isn’t! Parts are harder to find and cheap replacements lower the value. Money is also lost while the bike sits.
Fair, reliable damage quotes. Modern bikes are quick and easy to fix in Yamaha, Suzuki or Honda stores. Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki can act as a 3rd party source for damage quotes and the customer does not need to fight or negotiate with the rental company!
Theft. Having your motorcycle stolen is a big concern for travelers in a place like Vietnam. Security guys are everywhere and hotels often bring motorbikes inside. Armed with the correct knowledge, there is no reason or excuse for getting a motorcycle stolen in Vietnam. Read our related article on parking and motorbike security.
What A Quality Scooter Rental Company Offers.
Multi-city locations. A company with different city locations like Ho Chi Minh, Da nang and Hanoi make pick up, drop off and services easier.
Upfront honesty. Clear contracts and set prices for reliable and genuine bikes means there is no guesswork when renting.
Quality scooters and motorcycles. The right company will have pre-selected the models and brands that perform best for a traveler’s needs.
Travel insurance for your scooter. Rather than worrying about what to do in the event of a crash, your rental company should offer a damage waiver that covers all parts on your motorbike in the event of a crash.
Competitive with prices. No one wants to pay more and deals too good to be true probably are. The right company knows it’s better for the customer and their business to deal with a modern fleet of bikes.
Reliable business structure. The best rental companies aim to create a rental environment that replicates traditional car rentals from back home, where the vehicle usually doesn’t break down and you can expect great customer service!
If you’re looking to know more about quality scooter rentals. Motorbike Nguyen Tu has a wide source of information on motorcycle routes, things to do, the best time of year to visit, weather, and more.
Hanoi Motorbike Rental And Sale– What To Know
Value. Understand the value of the motorcycle you’re renting. Not all bikes are equal and they definitely aren’t all worth $300.Your contract will explain the value of the motorcycle. If it doesn’t, ask or get it in writing.
Know your market. Not all countries are created equal. Hanoi has developed a bad reputation for ripping off travelers with crash damage and theft scams. This reputation has been unfairly passed to Vietnam and South-East Asia in general. Overall the market remains to be relatively fair and safe, and most arguments are caused by travelers not understanding the rental companies’ position.
Chinese motorbikes or Yamaha Nouvo 1/2/3 automatics have a street value of $150-300.
A rental company operating with these models will usually take a deposit of 1-million VND.
The rent is 5-10usd a day, or 1 million VND a month. Read our related post for a full list of monthly rentals and outright purchases.
Once the deposit and rent is paid, the renter has paid nearly 1/4 the value of the scooter!
The reputable companies will use Honda semi automatics with a value between $500-800 or Honda automatics with a value of around $1000.
Deposit requirements are usually stricter and higher, ranging from 3-million dong to 5-million dong ($150-$500) and usually combined with a small background check.
Passport deposits are also commonly accepted with a Vietnam Visa, but drivers licenses are not.
Travellers often assume that rental companies are desperate for business, however, the good companies operate no differently from traditional car rentals and often perform background checks on potential customers.
Hanoi Scooter rental price
According to the experience of people who have rented motorbikes in Hanoi, the cost will be reduced when you select this type of vehicle.
When starting to rent a automatic scooter, you must ask the lessor to give you a free map. Hanoi travel is very convenient. Riding a motorbike go to eat is never afraid of expensive, a lot of food you can choice. If street food expensive you can go to other places, not like taxi they carry you to the restaurant to get the commission so the price will be higher.
- Motorbike Not automatic: Honda RS, RSX, Yamaha, Jupiter, Sirious, Future ….
- VND 90,000 ≅ 4USD / day (24 hours)
- Automatic Motorbike: Nouvo, Atila,
- VND 100,000 ≅ 5USD/ day (24 hours)
- VND 120.000 Airblade Motorbike/day (24 hours)
- Duration: 1 day is 24 hours
- – Example: 7:00 today to 7:00 the next day is counted as 1 day
- 15:00 today to 15:00 tomorrow is counted as 1 day
Don’t get too worried about the motorbike rent since it is quite cheap in Hanoi. For each rental bike, you just pay around $3-$9 per day, but the rental scooter may cost you $10 or more.
If you intend to hire this motorbike for a long time (over a week), make sure you have a good deal with the company. (especially in peak seasons insist on a daily rate for how many days you hire)
Some places for Hanoi Scooter Rental
It is not difficult to rent a motorbike in Hanoi City. There are several variants: Our shop on Google Map.
small hotels and hotels.
You can hardly walk around any (especially central) street without noticing a dozen rental places where you’ll be gladly helped to hire a scooter.
If you are staying at a small hotel you’ll probably be told about such nearest places at the reception. They even can bring you a bike or something to the hotel as hotel owners often have contracts with the owners of motor transport.
If they don’t provide such a service, it’s enough to walk along the second and the third lines of Hanoi.
One more method of hiring motor transport in Hanoi is getting in touch with the foreigners living there a long time and running some bike rental business. We’d advise you to turn to our good acquaintances – guys from the Moto Vietnam and they not only will help you to choose a good and suitable bike but will also give you some recommendations and several bike riding lessons.
There are some places motorbike rental Automatic scooter Hanoi. But I recommend these fews stores as the quality of motorbikes are quite good and easy to find: Follow This Link >>> The Best Shop Motorbike rental Hanoi.
Motorbike Rental Van Chinh
Add: 24D Ta Hien, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi. (Old Quater)
Cong Tan Motorbike
Add: 110 Nguyen Van Cu, Long Bien District, Hanoi.
What are the procedures when renting?
Depending on the rental business, duration of the rental and the type of bike you plan to rent, the procedures are different. For example, usually, if you are staying in a hotel and want to rent a motorbike from the hotel for under a week, the hotel usually will not need a deposit, instead they will hold your passport.
However, If you rent direct from a motorbike rental business, you will need to give either your ID/Passport or a deposit of money. Many rental shops will accept a valid identification or even a copy of the passport, with a smaller monetary deposit.
You must be careful checking your bike before rental. You should make sure that all the lights, indicators, horn and basic electrical functions are working before you leave. Also, you can even have the bike checked by a local mechanic to ensure that it’s in good condition for just a small fee if you are planning to rent longer term.
Finally, and most important – always wear a helmet when riding a motorbike in Vietnam, not only is it the law but it will ensure your safety! Do not rent a bike with a business who provide you with a very low quality helmet, and if you are renting long term, invest in your own!
Below you will find a some of the most popular and recommended motorcycle rental business in Hanoi.
Address: 40 Nguyen Sieu, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi.
Style Motorbikes is the new motorbike rental shop in Hoi An. Over the past couple of years, it has expanded its presence to Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, and Ho Chi Minh. It focuses on offering the best possible value to customers, which basically means great quality at an affordable price. If you don’t need a lot of extra services, like guided tours or travel services, then Style Motorbikes is one of the best options. It is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable riding experience. We tried a one-way rental with Style from Hue to Hoi An, and we were very satisfied with its services
Its motorbikes are brand new (2017 to 2019 models), dependable, and all equipped with phone holders and USB chargers for easy navigation. If you wish to ride in maximum safety, then it is the only store in town that offers world-class helmets and body protection equipment for sale. Its mechanics speak good English and will be happy to help you with anything you need. They will even take you for a small driving lesson to show you a few things about your new motorbike. Daily rentals start at as low as 230,000 VND (10 USD).
- Motorbike Models: Detech, Suzuki, and Honda | 110cc to 150cc
- Daily Rental Rates: 230,000 VND (10 USD) to 345,000 VND (15 USD)
- Rental Fees Include: Drop off in another city, local helmet, luggage rack, USB charger, lock, bungee cords, downloadable maps with suggested stops, and driving lesson
- Support: 24/7 helpline: also helps resolve accident-related issues
- Extras: Helmet and protective equipment for sale, shipping of backpacks.
Address: 66 Dao Duy Tu, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam. ( Old Quarter )
Flamingo offer over 300 motorbike units, 26 different models, 20 years of experience, and four branches across Vietnam (Hanoi, Saigon, Hoi An, and Lao Cai). Flamingo’s daily rates are very competitive, and it also offers great deals on monthly rentals (920,000 to 1,380,000 VND, or 40 to 60 USD). However, what sets it apart from the competition is organised tours.
Dirt bike rental in Hanoi
Dirt bikes (also known as trail bikes, enduro) are great for riding in the mountainous areas where you are likely to ride on rough roads. We own and maintain these bikes ourselves. You now find a good place to rent dirt bikes like Honda CRF250L, CRF150L & XR150 in Hanoi.
- Honda XR 650cc ( US $50 / Day)
- Honda XR 650cc ( US $55 / Day)
- Suzuki DR 650cc (US $55 / Day)
- Suzuki DRZ 400cc (US $50 / Day)
- Honda XR 400cc (US $50 / Day)
- Kawasaki KLX 250cc ( US $55 / Day)
- Honda CRF 250L ( US $55 / Day)
- Honda XR 250cc (US $40 / Day)
- Honda Degree 250cc ( US $30 / Day)
- Hon AX1 & Kaw Anhelo 250cc ( US $30 / Day)
- Honda XR 150cc (US $25 / Day)
- Suzuki EN 150cc (US $25 / Day)
- Kawasaki KLX 150cc (US $30 / Day)
- Yamaha XTZ 125cc (US $25 / Day)
- Yamaha YBR 125 cc (US $20 / Day)
Semi Auto Motorbikes
- Honda Future X 125cc (US $12 / Day)
- Honda Future Neo 125cc (US $10 / Day)
- Honda Wave S 110cc (US $ 6 / Day)
- Honda Wave 110cc (US $6 / Day)
Fully Auto Motorbikes
- Yamaha Nouvo 125cc (US $9 / Day)
- Sym Attila 125cc (US $9 / Day)
- Rental Fees Include: Helmet, tool kit, raincoat, 24-hour support and assistance, bungee cords, plastic bags for covering motorbikes, and training courses
- Reservations: 30% advance deposit of the total price of the trip.
Vietmotorbikes is driven by its passion for making sure that you enjoy your motorcycle vacation to the fullest and we strive for perfection in all details of our tours, rentals and sales. It is the combination of our passion for motorcycling and our desire for perfection that makes travelling with Vietmotorbikes something extraordinary. Viet Motorbike is a well-known and highly rated motorcycle rental shop in Hoi An, and it has the reviews to prove it.
Although there are well-rounded services on offer, almost all of them (protective gear, drop off, pick up, bag transfer, GoPro camera, and tool kits) – only available at extra cost. Its staff are really friendly, but not all of them speak good English. So it might be a little challenging to communicate when you visit them to pick up or drop off your motorbike.
- Motorbike Models: Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Win, and Honda, KTM Duke | 50cc to 373cc
- Daily Rental Rates: 345,000 VND (15 USD) to 1,121,000 VND (49 USD)
- Rental Fees Include: Helmet, raincoat, 24-hour support and assistance, bungee cords, and plastic bags for covering motorbikes
- Support: 24/7 helpline
- Extras: Guided tours, GoPro, knee and elbow protection, gloves, a tool kit, bag transfer, and prepaid fuel
- How to book: Online
- Payment options: Debit and/or credit cards, PayPal, and cash (USD, GBP, EURO, or VND).
- All their bikes are new or near-new – all within warranty. There are no concerns about reliability or safety when renting from this operation.
Address: no 51 Trinh Cong Son, Nhat Tan, Tay Ho, Hanoi (near the Water park in West Lake).
Add: 37 Ngo Huyen, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
In Hanoi’s Old Quarter, Mr. Cường welcomed us into Phung Motorbike. They’re a one-stop shop: rentals, repairs and sales. They serve a predominantly foreign crowd of expats and backpackers, with demands ranging from daily commuters to people looking to spend weeks, or even months, traveling the amazing roads that have made Vietnam one of the most sought after motorbike destinations in the world. If you’ve been thinking about a motorbike trip through this stunning country, Phung Motorbike is a good place to start.
Phung Motorbike is a very professional motorbike rental company, offering bikes for day rentals, long term rental and off-road long term travelling exploring around Vietnam. They have a great reputation for offering safe and reliable motorbikes that are in good quality condition. If you are expat looking for a reliable long term rental, they have many options available to you and are renowned for their quality after service.
List motorbike, scooter & motorcycle rentals, in Hanoi, Vietnam.
This type of manual clutch bike has great suspensions (dual telescopic in the front and mono at the back), big wheels and large tires and will get you anywhere in Vietnam. Some shops in Hanoi rent bikes at cheaper prices because they use other brands like Yamaha, Suzuki or worst Chinese no-names.
Honda motorcycles, dirt bikes, sports bike (recommended for long distance tours).
– CRF250L 250cc (year 2014-2017)
– CRF150L 150cc (year 2019)
– XR150L 150cc (year 2016-2017)
– Winner 150cc (year 2016-2017)
– CGL125 125cc (year 2014)
Honda moped scooters (recommended for cities or short rides).
– Winner 150cc (year 2016-2017)
– Wave Alpha 110cc (year 2017)
– Blade 110cc (year 2015-2017)
– Wave 110RS, Wave 110S, Wave RSX110 110cc (year 2013-2015)
Honda fully automatic scooters (recommended for cities).
– Lead 125cc (year 2014-2015)
– Air Blade 125cc (year 2014-2015)
– Vision 110cc (year 2013-2018)
50cc SYM motorbikes & scooters (if you don’t have any license)
– SYM Elite (year 2018)Name motorbikes rentals In Hanoi.
– SYM Elegant (year 2017)
Tips for backpacker when rent motorbike in Hanoi
- Before and after the journey, you have to ensure that all parts of your motorbike are in normal operating conditions such as brakes, tires, chainsaws, lights, horns, turn signal and speedometer.
- Remember to fill up the petrol for the motorbike. You don’t need to worry about the type of gasoline to use because the petrol station staff will automatically fill the suitable one for the motorbike.
- Bring sunglasses, sunscreen, waterproof backpacks, coats, raincoats, locks, rubber bands, full battery, smartphone connect 3G, some motorbike repairing tools and most importantly is money.
- Obey the Vietnam traffic rules:
- Wearing a helmet, driving on the right side and limited speed of 60 km/h
- Do not cross the red traffic light, using horns anytime you need, drive with two hands,
- Do not take photos when driving
- Turn the lights on when getting inside tunnels.
- Do not drink alcohol before and during the drive.
- Be confident with traffic. Try to guess other’s turning direction by their body language.
- Drive slowly in order to look out for animals, children, old people, alcoholics, drugs, off-size vehicles.
- Keep a safe distance of big trucks when getting uphills or climbing mountain passes.
- When police stop you, the easiest way to escape is “TIP” them 10 – 20 USD and then go.
- Do not repair the bike without permission of a rental company. You need to contact them then be instructed.
That’s all. Thanks for your read my article about motorbike rental in Hanoi. Now you have some address in order to rent a “iron howrse” to experinces in Hanoi. Have a good trip to you.
PHOTOS OF VIETNAM MOTORBIKE RENTAL
Welcome to Vietnam Motorbike Rental bike photos gallery. On this page, you will see bike photos we took on the trips by customers and our guides. These are our own off-road motorbikes, touring motorcycles and scooters we have been providing in Hanoi, Northern Vietnam.
Tags: Scooter rental Hanoi