Up in the clouds, the damp hill station of Tam Dao feels like the mountain town that time forgot—almost. In 1907 French developers scaled the rugged 4,590-foot peaks (there are three of them) north of Hanoi and decided the cool weather of a nearby mountain retreat could serve the French well. The result was a graceful town of elegant villas surrounded by lush vegetation and sweeping views of the valley below.
Since the French left in 1954, however, little grace has been bestowed on Tam Dao, whose chalet charm took a decided turn for the worse when Soviet-era architecture announced itself in the form of a monstrously square 40-room hotel. Although still not what it once was, the town square and most villas around have been renovated and many Vietnamese tourists enjoy the views and food from the restaurants around town. More and more development is underway and Tam Dao is rising again as another weekend destination easy reachable from Hanoi.
And to fully explore, you should rent a motorbike in Tam Dao. If you are first coming to Tam Dao Hill Station , do not ignore the list of motorbike rental locations in Tam Dao to avoid the case of cutting down or encountering poor quality and damaged vehicles.
Some places Tam Dao Motorbike Rental
It is not difficult to rent a motorbike in Tam Dao or any other Vietnam city. There are several variants:
small hotels and hotels.
You can hardly walk around any (especially central) street without noticing a dozen rental places where you’ll be gladly helped to hire a scooter.
If you are staying at a small hotel you’ll probably be told about such nearest places at the reception. They even can bring you a bike or something to the hotel as hotel owners often have contracts with the owners of motor transport.
One more method of hiring motor transport in Tam Dao Hill Station is getting in touch with the foreigners living there a long time and running some bike rental business. We’d advise you to turn to our good acquaintances – guys from the Moto Vietnam and they not only will help you to choose a good and suitable bike but will also give you some recommendations and several bike riding lessons.
There are some places motorbike rental in Tam Dao. But I recommend these fews stores as the quality of motorbikes are quite good and easy to find:
Thai Duong motorbike rental
Address: No. 36 Dam Vac, Dong Da, Vinh Yen City, Vinh Phuc.
Motorbike An Du
Address: 339 Me Linh, Lien Bao, Vinh Yen City, Vinh Phuc.
Phone: (0211) 3720888
Motorbike rental Hoang Quy
Address: No 7 Ha Huy Lap, Vinh Yen, Vinh Phuc.
Phone: (0211) 3840 884
Motorcycle Rental Ngoc Lan
Address: 1 Tran Phu street, Vinh Yen, Vinh Phuc, Vietnam.
Phone: (0211) 3861470.
Ultimate Guide to Renting a motorbike in Vinh Phuc.
How much? Motorbike Rental Tam Dao Hill Station
The company will usually charge per 24 hours. When you rent for a day. the price you pay will vary depending on where you are, whether the bike is older or new, and an automatic or a manual one. In some places, you may have a discount for a weekly rental, most will for a monthly hire term.
If you intend to hire this motorbike for a long time (over a week), make sure you have a good deal with the company. (especially in peak seasons insist on a daily rate for how many days you hire).
Budget is about 120.000 to 200.000 VND per day or 800.000 to 1.200.000 VND for monthly rental. It depends on your motorbike preference.
Note that motorbikes rental prices in popular tourist destinations in Tam Dao are higher compared to less touristy areas. If you plan to rent a scooter in Tam Dao Hill Station. I recommend getting a bigger Motorbikes than 50cc.
I recommend renting a scooter from a scooter rental that looks trustworthy. Renting a scooter from your hotel is a good option although it will cost you more. But as we’re talking about a few dollars difference, it is a less risky option than to rent from a business that looks suspicious.
Popular models of motorbikes
- Yamaha Nouvo is a very popular model, both in Tam Dao and in all of Vietnam. Quite a roomy bike that will suit both men and women. Perfect for trips around the city and for short distances. In addition, this device is quite economical fuel consumption, which is good news. And due to its popularity, you can easily get any spare parts for it.
- SYM Atilla – this model is suitable for the movement of the whole family. It can easily fit two adults and a child. And due to its power, it will be brisk to go even with a large load. But if you are planning a trip, I would not take this bike, because at the expense of small wheels, it is not well adapted to rough roads.
- Honda Airblade is a very comfortable and reliable bike. An engine capacity of 125 cm3 allows you to travel long distances with the wind. The main advantage of this model is its handling. Suitable for those who already have experience driving two-wheeled vehicles.
- SYM Shark is a large and powerful bike with an engine capacity of 125 cm3. Suitable for tall people, or to travel with the whole family. I can safely ride it two adults and two children. You can comfortably move around the city as well as over long distances.
- Honda Wave – this model is suitable mainly for fragile girls or men of short stature. It has a small size and will accommodate no more than two people. The Semi-Automatic is convenient for getting around the city.
List motorbike, scooter & motorcycle rentals in Tam Dao
Honda motorcycles, dirt bikes, sports bike (recommended for long distance tours).
– CRF250L 250cc (year 2014-2017).
– CRF150L 150cc (year 2019).
– XR150L 150cc (year 2016-2017).
– Winner 150cc (year 2016-2017)
– CGL125 125cc (year 2014).
Honda moped scooters (recommended for cities or short rides).
– Winner 150cc (year 2016-2017)
– Wave Alpha 110cc (year 2017).
– Blade 110cc (year 2015-2017)
– Wave 110RS, Wave 110S, Wave RSX110 110cc (year 2013-2015).
Honda fully automatic scooters (recommended for cities).
– Lead 125cc (year 2014-2015)
– Air Blade 125cc (year 2014-2015)
– Vision 110cc (year 2013-2018).
50cc SYM motorbikes & scooters (if you don’t have any license)
– SYM Elite (year 2018)
– SYM Elegant (year 2017).
Read more article: Ha Giang motorbike rental
Safety Inspection and Checks
Before you set off, make sure you give a thorough check of the motorbike. The company will usually go over the bike and make a list of any dents, scratches and damage it might already have which you will be asked to witness. Pay attention when this is done as the contracts you are about to sign says that you hired the bike in prime condition. If it comes back with any additional marks you will be charged for this and be careful some companies motorbike rental In Tam Dao make alot of extra income this way.
Here are things you should check for.
1) Inspect the bike for existing damage and take photo’s on your phone.
2) Sit on the bike and bounce up and down – make sure the suspension is working.
3) See if the mirrors adjust and you can see behind you. Vietnamese drivers hardly ever use their mirrors – but you do!
4) Ride the bike and check for size comfort (your knees should not be forced to stick out)
5) Ride the bike and test the brakes (some bikes have rear and front, some combined – know what you have)
6) Check the acceleration – sometimes you will need to get out of the way of some idiot quickly
7) Opt for bikes with thicker tires – thin tires and gravel will be your No one reason for an accident
8) Helmet – Get as good as you can and wear it. Seriously wear it – I know some people don’t but think of your mother!
See more article: Motorbike rental in Ninh Binh.